Monday, February 15, 2016

I wasn't meant to be a plumber!!

Glug glug glug. A pool of water sits in the sink…ever so S L O W L Y seeping down the drain. I pull the drain stopper up and place it…all covered in gray goo…on the counter.  Ugh! Luckily the drain stopper isn’t attached inside the drain, making it easier for me to see down the dark hole. My face wrinkles in disgust.  Gross.  Seriously nasty! There’s a large clump of sludge blocking the drain.

Let me have a minute here to be a bit grossed out.  EWWWWW!  *shudder* shudder*

Sigh.  Okay.  I can handle this. My husband, the resident plumber, is at his day job today.  He’s working so many hours that he’s barely ever at home.  By the time he has time to unclog the drain it’ll probably be worse…overflowing onto the floor…if my littles have anything to do about it.

Suck it up and do it, I tell myself.  I need something to dig the creeping crud out of the drain.  After a second I decide to get out a screw driver.  I grab a container of disinfecting wipes too.  This junk is SOO disgusting…

I use the wipes to clean the gray sludge off from the drain stopper, my nose wrinkled in complete disgust the entire time. I can’t help it. It’s involuntary. *shudder* I set the stopper on the counter again…as clean as it can get for now.  Maybe I should boil it…haha.

I begin digging at the clump in the drain with the screw driver.  Slowly I get small chunk up and out and onto disinfecting wipes.  I carefully wrap it inside the wipe and place it in the trash.  I dig up some more.

You know.  This drain wouldn’t be this bad if it wasn’t for the fact that I have so stinking much hair on my head.  I swear I lose tons of hair.  I even try to be so careful to make sure that my hair is taken OUT of the sink and put INTO the trash can.  But NO! Somehow it still makes its way into the deep dark abyss of the plumbing. This isn’t the first drain I’ve clogged with my hair.  And it probably won’t be the last.  Maybe I should go BALD….no…Todd wouldn’t like that.  

I finally get as much of the clump of goo as I possibly can scraped out of the sink drain. Then I wipe the drain out with a few wipes…for good measure.  At least it will be clean-er… for just a few minutes.  I can stop having the heeby geebies over it.  Ick!


I place the drain stopper back into the drain and run the water.  The water flows freely again. Yay!  Success!  I fixed it! I feel so…accomplished.  It’s a great feeling when I can fix things for myself and my family.  It makes me feel like a very independent woman…even if for just a few short minutes.  And I helped relieve some of the burden normally placed on my exhausted husband.  Now THIS is how to see the best in CRAP! 

6 comments:

  1. You rock!

    With a wife and 8 daughters, my poor husband never gets a break from drains clogged with hair! And we try so hard to clean up after ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great?!?! Hahaha! Now, 9 women in the house...that's a lot of hair! ;)

      Delete
  2. Kara, you are amazing. I am reading this running thorough any thing I can think of to help. Digging it out with a screw driver obviously works too!! after a run through of those ideas, I said to myself wait a minute CALL GEORGE!!! that should have been your and my first answer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I could have just waited for Todd...or my dad to get off work to fix it. BUT...I really was trying to reduce their to-do list. And was successful...even if I had to dig sludge out of the drain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to where you are coming from. Drains just seem to be a magnet for everything you didn’t want to know was in your home. Great job clearing it out though! Represents a great deal of dedication and hard work that most homeowners simply do not have.

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing

    ReplyDelete