Friday, March 11, 2016

Bedtime

Oh CRAP! It’s 3:00 in the afternoon and I just realized that I forgot to post on my blog today. OOPS!!!

Well, here goes…

Recently I was lying on Cassie’s bed to try to get the girls to go to sleep.  Our bedtime routine has had to change and adapt to whatever circumstance we were in over the years. 


In Texas, Todd and I shared a bedroom with the girls because there weren’t enough rooms in the house for all of us.  Bedtime was especially hard.  We snuggled with them in our big bed before putting them into their own beds…4 feet away.

We couldn’t put the girls to bed and then go to our own room to watch a show or two before we went to bed.  Todd and I would watch a show on our phones with the brightness turned way down and headphones in our ears. We had to have it dark. We had to be quiet. 

Now that we are in Maine and have our own room again, we are still trying to get them to go to sleep in their own bedroom. Alyssa wants/needs to have snuggle time on mom’s bed.  Cassie doesn’t want to ever sleep.  EVER! 


In a desperate attempt to get them to go to sleep in their own beds and stop having “snuggle time” in my bed, I tried to snuggle in their room.  This is how it went:

Lights are off and we are supposed to be quiet…trying to sleep.
Cassie: Oh, oh, and what about the butterflies fluttering?
Mom: Yes, they flutter.
Alyssa: And they start out as a chrysalis.
Mom: Yes, they do.  Now close your eyes and go to sleep.


A few seconds go by…

Cassie: My eyes are big like this!  They’re big like this!
She shows me her big eyes. 
Then she gives me Eskimo kisses and nose kisses. A Teddy bear gets snuggles.
Mom: Okay Cassie, it’s time to close your eyes and go to sleep.

A few seconds later…


Alyssa:It’s hard for me to go to sleep.

GEE! Ya think!?!?!? Oh my!

Mom: Well you have to close your eyes and stop talking.
Alyssa: Can you count sheep to sleep?
Mom: Yes you can.
Alyssa whispers: 1, 2, 3, 4, …

Oh my gosh.  I don’t think they’ll EVER go to sleep! 


Cassie: Can we go snuggle on YOUR bed?
Mom: But we’re snuggling on your bed this time.
Cassie: But your bed is more comfy-er.
Mom: Sigh…I guess we can snuggle for a few minutes on my bed. 

I’m too tired to care.  We snuggle on my bed. Yep! And we both fall asleep…in my bed again.  I wonder if I’ll ever sleep in my bed without children…






No comments:

Post a Comment